Newsletter: Events in Montreal, Argentina, Dublin and Denver | Spotlight on Halifax, Nova Scotia | Job openings
Ten events in the next seven days! And in the past week, we’ve also had several great events, including Hacks/Hackers Vancouver powering through their meetup by only candlelight:
The week ahead:
- Hacks/Hackers Halifax launches.
- As part of the WordCamp US Community Summit, Hacks/Hackers Philly is co-hosting a meetup about the intersections of WordPress and media.
- In Montreal, tonight’s event is all about maps: how to use map templates, satellite imagery, gather and distribute geographic data, and more.
- Hacks/Hackers IRE in Columbia, Mo., will be building a news quiz app using Django.
- In Rosario, Argentina, the chapter holds its year-end event with speakers talking about data viz, open data, and government projects.
- Dublin’s chapter is partnering up to host a data journalism hackathon this weekend using data collected around “attitudes to work”.
- Hacks/Hackers Singapore holds “Micro Hack Mondays” on the first Monday of the month.
- In Austin, the chapter is joining up with the Austin Web community for the Holiday Web Bash.
- Hacks/Hackers Colorado meets up in Denver to hear from speakers from the Open Media Foundation, Riddle, and a reporter for USA Today who covered the Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado Springs.
- In D.C., the chapter has its holiday mixer with DC Media Innovations and The DC MUG.
So many end-of-year and holiday parties coming up. Hope you have your party hat ready!
- SourceFabric is looking for a full-stack web developer to join their Superdesk team in Prague. (Submitted by Letizia Gambini)
- NewCo Media is hiring a producer in San Francisco. (Submitted by Khari Johnson)
(Have a job opening to share? Let us know.)
Chapter spotlight: Hacks/Hackers Halifax
Doing something a little different today and highlighting a chapter that’s just about to come into existence (tonight!). From brand-new chapter organizer Rachel Ward:
“Here in Nova Scotia, we’re hosting our first Hacks/Hackers meeting Wednesday evening! We’re hoping to fully launch in January with monthly events. Please send us well wishes. We’re super excited.“
Say hi to Rachel and the rest of the team in Halifax:
Worth a read:
- How to maximize the success of your news interactive (The Center for Investigative Reporting)
- Five Things We Learnt from Hacks Hackers London’s November Meetup (Interhacktives)
- Meet Membrane, NYT Lab’s experiment in permeable publishing (Source)
- How to use social media to grow your audience: Lessons from Hacks/Hackers meetup in Bengaluru, India (IJNet)
- ‘I didn’t even know I liked programming’: Young, geeky and black in Memphis (BBC)
That’s all for this week. See you next Wednesday.
Produced by Julia Haslanger. Say hi: @JuliaJRH